In Michigan, otherwise legally carried concealed pistols are prohibited for most people at the following places under Michigan law – even if you have a CPL. These places are commonly referred to as “Gun Free Zones” but they aren’t actually gun-free. In Michigan, you might be able to carry a rifle, or open carry a pistol legally. And of course, people who don’t follow the law might still be carrying too.
In most cases, the prohibition does not include the parking areas of the places listed.
- School or School Property
- Daycare center, child-caring agency, child-placing agency
- Sports arena or stadium
- Bar or Tavern (where the primary source of income is the sale of liquor consumed on-site).
- Church property (any facility owned or operated by a place of worship – they may choose to allow)
- An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500+
- Dormitory or classroom of a college or university
Please refer to MCL 28.425o for the complete text with exceptions and penalties for the above list.
There are also many other places prohibited by other laws (other than MCL 28.425o), course cases, property rights, etc.
- Courts (or other space used for official court business – (AO 2001-1 of the Michigan Supreme Court – Contempt of Court)
- Correctional facility (any jail, mental health facility, etc.) (MCL 800.283)
- Federal Facilities (18 USC § 930)
“Federal Facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties. Must be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to a Federal facility.Examples: Federal Court, Federal Prison, IRS, Social Security, Department of Labor, Military Base, etc.
- National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges are permitted, but you may not possess a firearm in a Ranger Station, Visitor Center, bathroom, or any other US Government facility on these properties that are posted.
- US Post Offices (all property, even parking, etc.) (39CFR, 232-1, title 39, paragraph L (I)
- Indian Reservations – some honor State of Michigan CPL, some do not.
- Airports – secure areas of commercial airports are prohibited (past the signs at TSA checkpoints) but you can check firearms in checked baggage if your firearm is legal at your destination. More details.
- Amtrak – similar to airports, but there are no checked baggage stations in Michigan. (Public Law 111-117 Section 159)
- Private Properly – any that are posted with NO GUN sign. (Trespassing – MCL 750.552)
- A place of employment MAY prohibit an employee as a condition of employment.
- A public university may be able to enforce a local ordinance – see this case. U of M Ordinance. Wayne State Ordinance.
- An educational institution MAY prohibit a student as a condition of enrollment.
Last updated November 2019 – for more Michigan concealed carry information see www.gotCPL.com – and be sure to sign up for our email newsletter for updates.