Tag Archives: moving

Moving to Michigan with a valid carry permit?

Once you establish residency here in Michigan, your out of state permit is no longer valid.

Michigan’s CPL application requirements state that an applicant must be a citizen of the United States, a legal resident of Michigan, and have resided in this state for not less than the 6 months. But, if you have a valid carry permit from the state you are moving from the 6-month waiting period is waived.

You will still need to take the Michigan CPL training course, as no other state’s training meets the requirements of Michigan’s law, but you can speed the process up by taking the course before you establish residency.

You are considered a resident of this state once you have obtained a driver’s license, personal identification card, or register to vote in Michigan. (see the complete statute for military residency requirements).

After you have filed your completed application, the approval process usually only takes a couple of weeks, and no more than 45 days.

Share Button