In Michigan, Concealed pistols are prohibited at the following places even if you have a CPL. In most cases, the prohibition does not include the parking areas of the places listed.
- School or School Property
- Day care center, child caring agency, child placing agency
- Sports arena or stadium
- Bar or Tavern (where the primary source of income is the sale of liquor consumed on site).
- Church property (any facility owned or operated by a place of worship – they may choose to allow)
- Entertainment facility with seating capacity of 2,500+
- Dormitory or classroom of a college or university
Please refer to MCL 28.425o for the complete text with exceptions and penalties for the above list.
- Court (or other space used for official court business – (AO 2001-1 of the Michigan Supreme Court – Contempt of Court)
- Correctional facility (any jail, mental health facility, etc.) (MCL 800.283)
- Federal Facilities (18 USC § 930)
“Federal Facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties. Must be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to a Federal facility.Examples: Federal Court, Federal Prison, IRS, Social Security, Department of Labor, Military Base, etc.
- National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges are permitted, but you may not possess a firearm in a Ranger Station, Visitor Center, bathroom, or any other US Government facility on these properties that is posted.
- US Post Offices (all property, even parking, etc.) (39CFR, 232-1, title 39, paragraph L (I)
- Indian Reservations – some honor State of Michigan CPL, some do not.
- Airports – secure areas of commercial airports (signs at TSA checkpoints) – you can check firearms in checked baggage, see TSA rules. (must also be legal at your destination)
- Amtrak – similar to airports, but no there are no checked baggage stations in Michigan. (Public Law 111-117 Section 159)
- Private Properly – any that is posted with NO GUN sign. (Trespassing – MCL 750.552)
- A place of employment MAY prohibit an employee as a condition of employment.
- An educational institution MAY prohibit a student as a condition of enrollment.